Specified Purpose Contract
Senior Assistance Technical Services Officer
€51,039 to €67,763 depending on experience.
Limerick, Sligo and Dublin
Purpose of the Post
To deliver a Professional Energy Management Service for stakeholders and support estate services such as professional technical and project management services in accordance with the responsibilities and duties of the post and as agreed.
Professional Qualifications, Experience
Eligible applicants will be those who on the closing date for the competition have:
- a QQI level 8 University Degree in Engineering or be a Member, Fellow or Chartered Member of the relevant Professional Association, e.g. Engineers Ireland
- have 3-5 years’ satisfactory experience in Energy Management after obtaining the qualification, preferably in a healthcare environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Working as part of the energy team within the wider estates team and linking with the central energy unit under the general direction and control of the Deputy Estates Manager and the Estates Manager, the Energy Officer will be responsible for such premises and locations as may be assigned to him/her
The principle role of the Energy Officer will be to effect Reductions in Energy Usage in the Health Facilities assigned to him/her through behavioral awareness programs and through the establishment of Energy Management Teams and the supported running of “User Education” and “Energy Awareness Programmes”. Registers of Opportunities can then be developed by these teams and any capital works can be progressed through the Estates Managers office.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general direction and control of the Deputy Estates Manager, Estates Manager, or designated appointed officer, the Energy Officer will be responsible for such premises and locations as may be assigned to him/her.
The principle role of the Energy Officer will be to Effect Reductions in Energy Usage in the Health Facilities assigned to him/her through behavioral awareness programmes and through the establishment of Energy Management Teams and the supported running of “User Education” and “Energy Awareness Programmes”. Registers of opportunities can then be developed by these teams and any capital works can be progressed through the Estates Managers office.
Energy Officer (Senior Asst Technical Services Officer) will:
- Support existing, and initiate and implement Energy Awareness Management Teams in the locations identified – Existing and New.
- Build on Best Practise in existing areas.
- Provide/make available metered usage data / comparators and KPI’s.
- Progress Energy Audits.
- Compile Action Plan for each location.
- Run Staff “User Education” and “Energy Awareness Programmes”.
- Produce ongoing Register of Opportunities and provide project development support for a pipeline of retrofit projects.
- Build on and develop the work already undertaken by the OPW through its Optimising Power @ Work programme in the regions.
- Progress Display Energy Certs.
- Undertake a review of the MIC for all Sites.
- Embed the energy agenda as a mainstream element in the delivery of Estates service to health facilities.
- Progress Funding Applications - capital works (major and minor) programmes.
- Link and align the related – and sometimes parallel – work streams being progressed by different bodies. The objective will be to align all efforts to achieve the best outcome.
- Work as part of regional energy bureau and contribute to national bureau where required.
- Establish and embed energy management best practices into the culture and day-to-day activities of the organisation and relevant stakeholders within each region.
- Develop register of opportunities for top user locations to identify energy saving opportunities
- Manage energy minor capital budget for area, including allocation of funding for individual projects identified on register of opportunities.
- Develop case studies for energy saving projects where required for reporting to national energy bureau, SEAI, etc.
- Liaise with utility suppliers to obtain billing information, set up of utility accounts, etc.
- Assist national bureau in rollout of national energy metering programme.
- Assist with compiling information for HSE annual M&R reporting to SEAI under SI 426.
- Facilitate Water Conservation Training for Energy & Green Teams
The Energy Officer will also assist in the general duties of the Estates Office and will progress works as may be assigned to him/her by the Estates Manager. These may include:
- Planning and supervision of the execution of major & minor capital works throughout the area of responsibility this is in addition to managing specific Minor & Major projects within the program.
- Assist in the preparation of comprehensive brief for the proposed major and minor capital projects in consultation with stakeholders and estates personnel and advisors.
- Prepare budgets for the carrying out of the proposed Minor & Major Capital work programmes and ensuring that projects are within agreed budgets.
- Be responsible for Minor Works lists, selection of contractors for bid purposes and recommendation of tenders for acceptance for all projects.
- Ensure compliance with EU procurement and financial regulations.
- Supervise staff and contractors in the implementation of the agreed programme.
- Provide Technical Support role to service personnel and other estates personnel as required.
Ensuring that buildings, services, and equipment under their control are adequately maintained in accordance with approved maintenance programmes.
- Assist in defining requirements for all equipment and building especially in seeking ease of maintenance and operation.
- Comply with regulatory requirements including permission, licences, certificates and approvals.
Working with and supporting the activities of the Property Manager to ensure compliance with relevant standards
- Work with the Property Manager to develop and implement a property management strategy and local property plans in collaboration with other key personnel and advisors.
- Assess the physical infrastructure of the property portfolio including energy performance
Advising on facilities and environmental matters in conjunction with services personnel and other estates personnel, and advisors as required by:
- Assisting as necessary in assessing Health & Safety of facilities and environmental risks.
- Co-operating with Fire and Safety Officers, Services Managers, Health & Safety, Risk Management and Staff in addressing facilities improvements with regard to legislative compliance.
- Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.