We are pleased to be recruiting for the permanent position of an Electrical & Instrumentation Design Engineer.
Our client is part of Global Multi-national company providing specialised Pure Water Solutions to the Pharmaceutical, Healthcare, Scientific, Food & Beverage and Microelectronics industries throughout Ireland for over 30 years.
Job title: Electrical & Instrumentation Design Engineer
Location: Celbridge, Co. Kildare
Responsible for coordinating Electrical Design aspects on a water treatment project. Typically, this includes low voltage switchgear & motor control centres, electrical installation, and process instrumentation. Projects are typically in the industrial sectors. Typical end users are Pharma, F&B & Manufacturing clients.
The Electrical & Instrumentation Design Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager (or appointed delegate).
Subcontractor/Supplier Electrical & Instrumentation Design
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
● Technical aspects for procurement of MCCs, process instrumentation, other electrical equipment
and various process plant and packages.
● Preparation of Control Philosophies/FDS
● Produce load & instrument schedules, cable schedules, equipment specs etc.
● Review sub-contractor drawings and specifications against client & VWT specifications. Detailed
checking of docs: schematics, cable schedules, functional design specifications, HMI mimics etc.
● Conduct FATs for switchboard, MCC and PLC/HMI software.
● Conduct inspections & tests for electrical equipment and miscellaneous plant.
● Assist with the development of system Architecture
● Ensure information is available to sub-contractors in order for their design to be completed in a
timely and accurate manner.
● Provide EICA input into design activities by other disciplines.
● Report internally on EICA aspects against budget and programme.
● Liaise with customers and end-users as required.
● Responsible for EICA design aspects of installation & commissioning.
● Visit site for meetings with clients, meetings with site team and for occasional installation supervision
● Provide assistance to tendering department in all EICA aspects of tenders, including preparation of
specification, schedules & drawings for enquiries and for assessment of returned quotations.
● Assist with the preparation of contract programmes and budgets.
● Ensure that all activities are carried out in a safe manner, in line with the health and safety
● Ensure that all activities are carried out in line with QA procedures.
- Process engineers, mechanical engineers, CAD designers, tendering engineers, site team.
- Project engineers.
- Suppliers, sub/contractors, 3rd party vendors.
- Client, consultant, principal contractor.
Essential Electrical qualification
Skills & Experience
● Experience of similar role in water industry.
● Application of Wiring Regulations.
● Communication skills for interfacing with colleagues, suppliers, project manager, customers etc.
● Computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel)
● Flexible working approach to deal with potential problems.
● Organisational skills for prioritising tasks in appropriate manner.
● Health & safety awareness
● Knowledge of PLC programming software.
● Full driving licence.
● Full passport.
Competencies (plus other essential competencies)
- Customer Focus
- Self-responsibility and accountability
- Technical /Professional excellence and innovation
- Transparency and openness of action/communication
- Valuing differences
- Reviewal of electrical and automation tender URS specifications for proposals.
- Attendance upon client request of meetings regarding technical electrical and automation-based queries.
- Development of control philosophies based on P&ID or Proposal Design Brief.
- Review of FDS’s developed by Automation subcontractors.
- Review of electrical drawings drafted by panel builders / electrical subcontractors.
- Carry out a functional and quality inspection of fabricated panels to confirm that they function logically and as per design intent.
- Development of termination drawings for water systems.
- Development of cable schedules for water systems.
- Development of power utilities requirement section within the utilities schedule.
- Assist in the commissioning process where electrical expertise is required when the assigned
- commissioning engineer is without an electrical background.
- Development and management of a library of software for installed systems.
- Liaise with BU hubgrade account owner to maintain knowledge of the hardware requirements for standard engineering systems.
Short Term Tasks (Initial 4-8 weeks)
- Review and revision of 003-CEL-MCCSI (MCC and SI Spec) and 02-CEL-ESP-EICA (EICA Installation Specification) to bring them up to a national specification.
- GAP analysis of requirements to allow for programming of Siemens PLC (S7-1200 or Logo) for non 21 CFR Part 11 compliant systems within the business unit.
- Acclimatisation to large scale automation within the company through project Z761 Analog Devices through the assistance to Niall Stephens.
- Introduction to a global standardised GUI (Graphics User Interface) goal for automation software (Through C&I webinar and on-site introduction).
Medium Term Tasks (Following 3-12 months)
- Familiarisation with PLC code for Orion, Sirion Mega, Sensa, Evaled and any additional products implementing a PLC arrangement for aid in automation troubleshooting.
- Upon familiarisation with control philosophies develop a standardised method of generating control philosophies using blocks of text and drawing blocks for accelerated development of control philosophies.
- Development of a standardised PLC panel for non 21 CFR Part 11 compliant where the only modifiabl element is PLC programming and familiarize with the implementation of Hubgrade in said panel.
- Commence development of an easily modifiable FDS for standardised PLC panel.
Long Term Tasks (Following 1-2 years)
- Research and develop (following a feasibility study) a modular PLC programming solution (similar to the Orion) for the standardised PLC panel to enable it to be used as a plug and play to intuitively select the modules required to control the system. Therefore, reducing the requirement for software rewrite every project and with a focus solely on updates and additions as required.