Discipline Engineer/Architect/Quantity Surveyor – Senior Assistant Technical Services Officer (SATSO Grade)
This is a Specified Purpose Contract with an envisioned requirement of one year initially.
Start Date: A start date will be indicated at job offer stage.
€51,039 to €67,763 with two further Long Service Increments €69,903 and €70,946 (salary scales as at 01/10/2021)
Location of Post: Kilkenny
Details of Service:
The Capital & Estates Department function of the Organisation provides a range of professional, technical, project management, property, energy, sustainability, fire and safety and related services in respect of the procurement, development, operation and maintenance of the health service’s physical infrastructure – including lands, buildings, plant and equipment.
These services include design specification, project management, construction supervision and procurement associated with major and minor capital building and refurbishment works, maintenance of health care buildings, infrastructural risk and asset management, property services, fire and infrastructural safety issues, energy management, sustainability issues etc.
The work completed by the Capital & Estates Department is vitally important to the successful provision of services in the Southeast (Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, South Tipperary & Carlow) and the department is responsible for the successful delivery of a significant infrastructural investment in both the health services hospitals and community services in its geographical area.
The post holder will report directly to the Estates Manager
Purpose of Post:
To deliver Estate services such as professional, technical and project management services in accordance with the responsibilities and duties of the post and as agreed
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Post Holder will:
Provide technical services and assistance as directed for the development and execution of major and minor capital projects in Acute and Non – Acute settings as follows;
- Assist in preparation of a comprehensive brief for the projects in consultation with services and estates personnel and advisors.
- Assist in the selection of Design Teams, other professional services and Contractors for Capital Projects, arranging and managing the procurement processes.
- Assist in defining requirements for design services, buildings and equipment.
- Obtain approval to proposals as necessary in accordance with the Organisation’s protocols and regulations in a timely manner.
- Assist in managing and controlling agreed project timescales and budgets for planning, design, construction and equipping to agreed quality standards
- Property management and technical advisory services as deemed appropriate for the management of the healthcare estate property portfolio within their assigned area.
- Provide Technical Support role to other estates personal and service personnel as required.
Ensure that adequate fire prevention and safety measures and standards are devised and applied by:
- Discussing fire precaution and safety measures and their priorities with the Local Authority Fire Officer in the area in association with the Organisation’s Fire Prevention Officers , Service Manager and other relevant Organisation staff,
Provide advice on the efficient use of energy and work with services personnel and other estates personnel and advisors on the efficient use of energy in healthcare premises by;
- Co-operating with the Organisation’s Fire and Safety Officers, Services Managers, Health & Safety, Risk Management, Occupational Health and Infection Control Staff in addressing facilities improvements with regard to legislative compliance.
- Have a working knowledge of HIQA Standards as they apply to the role, for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc. and comply with associated Organisation protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards.
- Demonstrate pro-active commitment to all communications with internal and external stakeholders
- Develop good working relationships with other members of the team and with Service Managers and Organisation staff as applicable .
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Eligibility Criteria: Qualifications and/or experience:
Candidates must at the latest date of application:
- Hold a Level 8 (or higher) Quality & Qualifications Ireland major academic award in Architecture, Engineering or Surveying accredited by the relevant Professional Institute ( Society of Chartered Surveyors in Ireland, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Engineers Ireland, Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland).
Have Membership of the relevant professional association:
- Society of Chartered Surveyors in Ireland
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Engineers Ireland
- Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland
Be eligible for registration under the Building Control Act 2007, without requiring further assessment as it applies to your qualified discipline
Hold a qualification at least equivalent to one of these;
- Have had at least five years’ satisfactory experience after attaining the qualification at (1) above, in architecture or engineering or surveying work, including adequate experience in the construction, project management or maintenance of buildings or in the installation , contract management or maintenance of the mechanical, electrical and heating services of such buildings.
- Possess a high standard of technical training and experience
- Possess the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and of administrative capacity) for the proper discharge of the duties of the office
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
Age restrictions shall only apply to a candidate where he/she is not classified as a new entrant (within the meaning of the Public Service Superannuation Act, 2004). A candidate who is not classified as a new entrant must be under 65 years of age on the first day of the month in which the latest date for receiving completed application forms for the office occurs.
Post Specific Requirements
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of experience as is relevant to the post; including adequate experience in the construction, project management or maintenance of buildings or in the installation, contract management or maintenance of the mechanical, electrical and heating services of such buildings.
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of technical training and experience as relevant to the role
- Contract management experience or client representative experience in contract management would be an advantage
Other requirements specific to the post:
Access to transport is a necessary requirement, as this post may involve travel between sites.
Skills, competencies and/or knowledge:
Candidates must demonstrate as applicable to the role Knowledge & Experience
- A good level of knowledge and experience of the construction of buildings and building services and an understanding of the maintenance requirements of same.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Health Information and Quality Authority
- (HIQA) Standards, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards, Standards for Hospital, Residential
- Care and Primary Care etc., as they apply to the role.
- Knowledge and understanding of the healthcare environment, particularly of residential buildings, hospitals and other health facilities.
- Good working knowledge of legislation and technical guidance in the estates area including Building, Planning, Health & Safety and Fire Safety Regulations.
- Knowledge of relevant internationally accepted standards in relation to the design and maintenance of health care buildings.
- Knowledge of option appraisal procedures, brief writing and building user consultation, cost estimation and control, hospital design, healthcare and project management and of the procurement process appropriate to public sector capital projects.
- Demonstrate good public relations ability, enthusiasm and initiative, with ability to work as part of a team.